Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Trust your instinct to the end, though you can render no reason.
Ralph Waldo Emerson


For the past five years, I can honestly say that I have loved my job. Even with all the bull, it's been the kids that have saved me every year. On first glance, these students can appear to be crazy, loud, obnoxious, and needy. But on the other side, they can read a person, and they read my heart from the start.  They saw in me, and still do by the way, things that I never saw in myself.

These past five years I have been a mom, a disciplinarian, a counselor, a sister, sometimes a lecturer (or preacher), sometimes a shoulder. I never thought I could be those things, and still manage to discover the woman I needed to become. Just as I have watched them grow, I grew too. 

In making the decision to make this transition, I thought about my kids. But in my heart, in my gut, I knew that this was my last year. I didn't speak it out loud to anyone! It took going to see The Help with my mom, that my mom looked over at me, and said, "Your time is coming. This is it." I told my mom, "I have to follow my dreams. Now is the time."

I had my doubts. I mean I am well liked at my job, dedicated, its comfortable. But my instincts told me things were going to change. It's time to go. It made no sense, but I pursued and the right door was opened. 

Now that I have stepped through that door, I am seeing what God wanted to show me. That it was my time to leave. I started to really accept the true nature of people, that for some you are only as good as what you can provide for them. I have also had to accept some things. The fact that ultimately the decision to make choices are not yours; that you can guide, give food, supply, but ultimately the decisions rest in the other person's hand.

Recently I have spent a lot of tears and anger seeing the nature of some during this transition. But I am also so glad that I trusted my instincts, because the reasons are now becoming more clear.  

No comments:

Post a Comment